LASIK SAN DIEGO
- Voted Best LASIK San Diego -- for the third time in 2012!
- Harvard-Educated Surgeon
- 100% Success in Vision Improvement
- Unlimited One-on-One with Your Surgeon, Angela Nahl, M.D.
- And More. Read on...
...discover how to get superior LASIK results in San Diego.
Imagine seeing your world without glasses or contacts. How would your life change?
Here are just some of the ways LASIK changed the lives of my patients:
- It transformed a four-eyes computer geek into a handsome, confident guy
- It safely allowed a mountain climber to fulfill her dream of scaling Mt. Everest
- It let a dad stay up 18 hours without contacts to help in the birth of his daughter
I can help make your dream come true, too. As a highly experienced San Diego LASIK surgeon with a 100% rate of success, I can give you the best vision correction more safely than ever, even if you thought you weren't a candidate in the past.
As you read this website thoroughly, you will discover why patients choose me as their ophthalmologist to perform their surgery. This is what some of my patients had to say:
"I can see better than with glasses. I love you. You are the best doctor that I have had of any kind!"
- Wendy Wong, Asst. Professor of Political Science, La Jolla
"It has been nearly 4 years since that time, and I can honestly say it was one of the best decisions that I ever made... Because of her thoroughness, and genuine concern for her patients, along with her outstanding follow up after the procedure, I highly recommend Dr. Nahl. I can't imagine having had anybody else do my LASIK surgery for me."
- Raymond W., U.S. MarinesMy Commitment as a LASIK San Diego Surgeon
My patients choose me -- and their lives change for the better --
because I always put their needs first. Whenever I
talk with a patient, their safety and concerns are always first in my
mind. Here is how LASIK can be easier and safer than driving your car
- You get unlimited personal consultations with me, your San Diego LASIK surgeon, including pre-operative and post-operative exams.
- I have the top state-of-the-art technology, and I will take the time to guide you through the alphabet soup of all your options and help you decide which is best for you.
- I have a 100% success rate in vision improvement
But that's not all. I care for each and every one of my LASIK San Diego patients,
and I make it a point to give my patients the special dedication and attention they deserve.
See how my patients are treated like they're family:
- You will always have access to me through phone and e-mail
- I will talk with you personally about all your concerns, and I will never make a recommendation I would not make to someone in my family
- I will take the time to get to know you as a person so I can better meet your specific goals and needs.
- I believe being your doctor is an honor and privilege, and I treat your trust in me with the highest respect. This means I will do everything I can to make sure you feel safe, comfortable, and satisfied.
When you're making your dreams come true, don't you deserve an ophthalmologist who will care for you every step of the way?Why Dr. Nahl Can Help You with Your Vision in San Diego
I earned my degrees from Harvard University and the University of Chicago and completed my residency at Doheny Eye Institute, one of the most demanding eye surgery programs in the world. I have overseen and helped trained the next generation of eye doctors at UCSF medical school, and I have performed thousands of procedures with a 100% success rate in vision improvement. I have been helping San Diego LASIK patients gain perfect vision for over 10 years here in San Diego. You can trust that my experience and devoted care will give you the results you are looking for.
Who is a good LASIK Candidate for LASIK San Diego Surgery Facility?
Are you thinking you can't have LASIK because:
- You have astigmatism?
- You have a high prescription?
- You think you're too old?
- Your reading vision is starting to get blurry?
So many of my patients have these concerns when they first come to me. And I tell them none of these reasons mean they can't achieve better vision and love the results! LASIK technology has advanced so much in the past few years, which allows me to treat conditions that couldn't be treated in the past. This means LASIK may really be for you, even if you have previously been told you're not a candidate.
In order for me to clear you as a LASIK candidate, you will need to be at least 18 years old and able to follow instructions. I will need to know about any medical conditions, eye diseases or infections, medications (past and current), allergies to medications, infections (especially MRSA), and any past surgeries. I will also need to know if you have any special conditions that I will need to help with such as dry eye, glaucoma, or certain diseases and medications.
"But I'm in my 40's. Am I too old?" No, not by a long shot! You're still young for LASIK. I have helped so many people in their 40's and 50's correct their distance and near vision. And because LASIK takes place on the part of the eye that stays very stable over long periods of time, LASIK does not change the rate at which your eyes age.
"OK, 40 is still young. But what if I'm a lot older?. Older patients in their 60's can opt for LASIK or early cataract surgery. The choice depends on your eyes and your prescription. For those in their 70's and 80's, cataract surgery is usually the way to go.
Of course, every person's eyes are unique. So the best thing to do is come talk to me.
But here's the bottom line: I can give you many options for vision correction that fit your age and prescription. In addition to LASIK, I also specialize in cataract surgery and advanced implantable contact lenses. When you come in for your consultation, we will discuss and decide together which option best fits your circumstances and needs. Call 858.551.4100 or click here to schedule your free consultation today.Discover Top-Quality LASIK in San Diego You Can Afford
What would you pay to not have to worry about glasses or contact lenses on the job?
What is the value of being able to exercise or drive to work without scrambling to find your glasses or put in your contacts?
What if I said you could do all this for just $4 a day -- about the price of a daily Frappuccino, and less than half the price of month's gas for driving to work.
Let me say that again: For less than $4 a day, you can make your dreams of clear vision come true in the safest, most comfortable way possible.
Here is what one of my patients had to say:
"I got the sense of a real concern for what my concerns were. The cost was more than reasonable, and as for the value, that's immeasurable."-Arnel
My patients have asked me, "Dr. Nahl, you're San Diego's Best LASIK Surgeon. Why don't you charge more?." I tell them that if I charged more, only the richest people could afford to have me fix their eyes.
When my grandpa was a country doctor, people who couldn't afford his services paid him in eggs, produce, carpentry, or however they could. Psychiatrist friends see their patients on a sliding scale. I offer 0% interest financing and a menu of procedures from the most affordable to the latest, greatest technology so that everyone can afford to get their eyes fixed.
I'll say it again. At La Jolla LASIK Institute, I offer 0% interest financing, extended payment plans, fair prices, and procedures to fit every pocketbook. My prices are average, not expensive, for San Diego LASIK. And most of all, I do everything I can to make your dreams come true.
I'm sure you have many questions, which I will be happy to answer personally. Click here or call 858.551.4400 to schedule your free consultation.
In the meantime, let me tell you more about LASIK in general, and LASIK as you will experience it at La Jolla LASIK Institute.What is a LASIK procedure?
LASIK, or Laser-Assisted In Situ Keratomileusis, is a procedure with two major components. The first part of the procedure involves creating a flap in the cornea with a femtosecond laser or mechanical microkeratome. After I create the corneal flap, I use an excimer laser to reshape the cornea to the patient's prescription by vaporizing just the right amount of the tissue to bring the cornea into the right shape. Reshaping the cornea focuses the light into the eye and onto the retina more precisely. This makes the patient's vision clearer than ever before.
The excimer laser I use here at La Jolla LASIK Institute enables us to achieve the the most accurate and precise results possible. After reshaping the cornea, I carefully restore the corneal flap to its original position, where it almost immediately begins to heal. Most of our LASIK San Diego patients report noticeably better vision within three hours after their surgery is completed.LASIK San Diego Procedure Step-by-Step
- Patients see Dr. Angela Nahl, our LASIK San Diego surgeon 3-14 days before their procedure for a complete dilated eye examination, where Dr. Nahl carefully checks each patient's precise prescription and other parameters. At this visit, patients complete their LASIK San Diego paperwork and payment, whether check, cash, or zero-interest financing.
- Dr. Nahl and her associates perform the patients' treatment calculations in advance, and the data is put into the lasers to calibrate them for the patient's precise prescription and other personalized factors.
- On the LASIK San Diego procedure day, Dr. Angela rechecks each patient's prescription and reviews the postoperative instructions with each patient.
- Patients may take a mild dose of Valium to relax before the procedure.
- Each patient wears a surgical hat and booties before entering the LASIK procedure room.
- Our San Diego LASIK patients are then escorted from the pre-testing room to the LASIK Laser room.
- Our LASIK patient then lies down on the procedure bed.
- The eye that will be operated on first is anesthetized with ocular anesthetic drops to make sure that the patient won't experience any discomfort during the surgery. Patients can feel touch or pressure during LASIK at La Jolla LASIK Institute, but not pain.
- Dr. Angela Nahl places an adhesive drape over the eyelids and eyelashes of the first eye.
- The patient's eye is gently held open with an eyelid retainer or lid speculum and Dr. Nahl prepares the corneal surface with a miniature surgical sponge.
- A ring-shaped suction instrument is placed on the eye and holds it still. Patients may find that eye begins to go dark during this first step of LASIK.
- Dr. Nahl then docks a second device onto the suction ring, whether a LASIK microkeratome or a femtosecond laser, and makes the corneal flap.
- Dr. Nahl gently lifts the flap, and cleans the surface under the flap again.
- The excimer laser is used to reshape the cornea.
- The flap, which works as a natural bandage, is gently smoothed back into place using a balanced salt solution formulated specifically for ophthalmic use.
- The eyelid retainer is gently removed after LASIK is complete on this eye.
- Dr. Nahl administers antibiotic and steroid eye drops in the operated eye.
- These LASIK steps are repeated on the other eye.
- Dr. Nahl or our technician places goggles placed over the patient's eyes.
- Immediately after LASIK, patients will notice that their vision appears as if they were in a fog bank or as if we put "the right lens in the camera and smeared Vaseline all over it." Patients will have glare and halos on the day of the procedure.
- Our LASIK San Diego patients are given a mild pain reliever such as ibuprofen, naproxen, or acetominophen to relieve the minimal discomfort they may experience. Patients may continue to take these medications as directed at home.
- A ride for the patient should be arranged beforehand because he or she should not operate a vehicle right after the surgery.
- Our LASIK San Diego patients may be sent home with Tylenol PM or a prescription for a sleeping pill to help them sleep better at night while they recover.
- By the time our LASIK San Diego patients are in the car riding home, they are usually very tired from the Valium, and go straight home for a good nap.
- A few hours later, patients wake up, have something to eat, notice that their vision has already improved quite a bit, take a sleeping pill and go back to sleep.
- Patients wear the goggles all day the day of their procedure, and while sleeping for one week after the procedure.
- The morning after LASIK, our LASIK San Diego patients take off their goggles and start their first set of post-LASIK eye drops. They take antibiotic, steroid, and artificial tears without preservative, at least 5 minutes apart.
- Our LASIK San Diego patients then take a shower, taking care not to rub or touch their eyes, closing their eyes and letting the water run down their faces, and washing and blotting their faces dry without touching their eyelids or eyes.
- Patients see Dr. Nahl on postoperative day one unless other arrangements have been made.
- Patients continue their eyedrops every four hours while awake for one week.
- Glare and halo, if any, will decrease gradually over the days and weeks after the procedure.
Every day, you have to get up, get washed, shave, brush your teeth, put on deodorant, comb your hair, put on some sunscreen or lotion, maybe makeup, choose your clothes, get dressed, eat, drink, and get on with your day. How many things do you do each morning that are not really optional? How about making finding your glasses or putting on your contacts optional?
What is your dream of life after LASIK? Just waking up and seeing the clock? Eliminating the extra time and effort your contact lenses add to your daily routine? Surfing, sailing, boating, fishing, swimming, diving and actually being able to see? (You know from my blog post that swimming and hot tubbing with contact lenses puts your eyes at risk of serious infection.) Going camping and hiking and not worrying about breaking or losing your glasses or a contact-lens-related infection? Feeling safe when you have to get up in the middle of the night? Feeling safe in dangerous situations?
You can make your dreams of clear vision come true in the safest, most comfortable way possible.
Most of my patients begin to experience the results of their LASIK procedure within a few hours of their surgery. My LASIK patients go to work or school the next day, and immediately begin to enjoy the benefits of a life free of corrective eyewear.
After having LASIK, you will get to do things that weren't possible or comfortable with corrective eyewear. You will get to swim and go on vacations at the beach without worrying about your glasses or sand in your contacts. You will be able to see your loved one right when you wake up in the morning. You will never have to worry about irritated, dry eyes associated with contact lenses. New careers and job opportunities are now possible - fulfill your dreams of being a pilot or astronaut, professional surfer or skydiver. Most of all, you will experience a new sense of self-confidence and freedom.
Periodically you have to shave, get a haircut, and cut your nails. Maybe you take it another level and give yourself manicures or pedicures. Maybe you shave your head every day. Maybe you make special, maybe even time-consuming trips for grooming. Many of these things you can't change. They are just a requirement of your work or social situation. What if you could eliminate one? What would you do with the time and the freedom? Think of all the time and hassle LASIK could eliminate for you. Daily fussing with contacts and contact lens solutions, trips to the drugstore, fear of losing a contact or getting a contact-lens-related infection, fear of losing or breaking your glasses. Think of the money you spend on frames and lenses.Behind the LASIK Technology
I believe that the choice of LASIK Technology is almost as important as the choice of surgeon in obtaining the best LASIK results. I offer a choice of the AMO Visx iLASIK technology, with a repetition rate of 6 Hz to 20 Hz, by now quite common in LASIK in San Diego, as well as the latest innovation and the newest laser in San Diego LASIK, the Allegretto 400 Hz wavefront laser.
The Allegretto 400 Hz laser is 20 to 67 times faster than the Visx S4. A faster laser means a shorter procedure, and a shorter procedure means less patient fatigue, and a more precise result. Whereas other lasers can excessively flatten the cornea or create sharp transition zones, the Allegretto maintains the smoothest profile of all available lasers; for this reason, it is the only laser for which the FDA approves of the claim that it reduces glare and halos. For these reasons, most of my patients choose the Allegretto 400.Types of LASIK Procedures
There are so many other options besides LASIK that we can explore together to ensure you the best results. If you're not a candidate for LASIK, that doesn't mean that there isn't the possibility of seeing the world free of glasses or contacts. My goal is to make sure that no matter what your circumstances are, I can help make your dreams of better vision coming true.
I am fully trained in PRK and Epi-LASIK, which are alternatives to LASIK. Instead of creating a corneal flap, I remove the top layer of the cornea and then correct your vision with a laser. This is better for non-LASIK candidates with corneas that are too thin, over-dry eyes and astigmatism.
I am also trained in cataract surgery and I can help you with ICLs (implantable contact lenses) which make clear vision possible for you even if you are an individual with an extremely high prescription.
No matter what, I make an effort to ensure that you are provided with all of your options to make your dreams of perfect vision come true. Remember, I have a 100% success rate in vision improvement -- this would not be achieved if I didn't take such care to find the right procedure for you.To Find Out More about LASIK in San Diego
If you have more questions about LASIK or Dr. Nahl, please call 858.551.4100 or click here to set up a free consultation.