Crystalens Eye Surgery in San Diego
At Nahl Custom Vision, all San Diego LASIK patients are treated with the utmost respect and dedication. This approach promotes a more relaxing treatment experience and better vision correction results. As a highly experienced cataracts surgeon, Dr. Nahl specializes in premium IOLs cataract surgery. She offers a variety of highly effective IOLs, including the advanced accommodating IOL, Crystalens. Dr. Nahl uses this lens implant to help San Diego Crystalens patients restore youthful vision and reduce their dependence on glasses. To learn more about Crystalens in San Diego and how these IOLs can help you realize your vision correction goals, please explore the paragraphs below.
What is Crystalens Implants?
Crystalens is an accommodating intraocular lens that, unlike a standard IOL, can treat both a person's cataracts and presbyopia-loss of near and intermediate vision. You probably noticed in your forties that you started to lose some of your up-close vision and had to start wearing reading glasses. Crystalens not only treats your cataracts (a clouding or hardening of your lens), but can also reduce or eliminate your dependence on glasses. It does so by recreating accommodation similar to your eye's natural lens. The unique Crystalens can reduce or eliminate glasses for most activities, including: reading a book, working on the computer, and driving a car.
Crystalens was modeled after the human eye. Like the natural lens, it uses the eye muscle to flex and accommodate in order to focus on objects in the environment at all distances. Crystalens dynamically adjusts to your visual needs.
Crystalens is designed to allow the optic, or the central circular part of the lens that you see through, to move back and forth as you constantly change focus on images around you. Crystalens flexes as you focus your vision.
- The first and only FDA-approved accommodating intraocular lens
- The only FDA -approved intraocular lens that uses the natural focusing ability of the eye
- The only FDA-approved presbyopia correcting IOL for cataract patients that provides a single focal point throughout a continuous range of vision
Very few San Diego Crystalens patients have experienced problems with glare, halos and night vision. This is because Crystalens focuses only one image to the back of the eye, unlike a multifocal lens that projects multiple images, requiring your brain to "adjust to the differences."
The effectiveness of Crystalens was proven in clinical trials:
- Significantly more patients implanted with a Crystalens (88.4%) could see better at all distances than patients implanted with a standard IOL (35.9%).
- Most patients have continued to report excellent vision 7 years after implantation with Crystalens. More than 100,000 Crystalens implants have been implanted worldwide, and that number is growing daily.
Crystalens accommodates like the natural lens. After implantation of Crystalens, most patients will see brighter and clearer from distance, intermediate to near like they did when they were younger.
Crystalens was the first presbyopia correcting IOL introduced into the United States market and is currently the only FDA-approved accommodating IOL. Crystalens addresses the limitations of standard monofocal IOLs and multifocal IOLs by providing the following advantages to patients:
- Provides a Broad Range of Vision: Crystalens moves and changes shape using the eye's natural focusing mechanism, instead of remaining fixed and stationary within the eye. This movement, or accommodation, allows the eye to focus on objects across a broad range of distances to reduce or eliminate dependence on glasses. In particular, this accommodation provides significant advantages in addressing intermediate vision.
- Maintains Clarity of Vision: Unlike multifocal lenses, Crystalens directs all available light received by the eye to a single focal point, comparable to that of a healthy natural lens.
- Patient Adjustment Not Required: Crystalens produces a single image consistent with normal vision, meaning patients do not need to neuroadapt to viewing multiple images. Patients also do not need to tolerate or adjust to high levels of halos and glare often associated with multifocal IOLs.
Crystalens Eye Surgery - The Procedure
Cataract surgery is one of the most commonly performed surgeries in the world. Crystalens is implanted during standard outpatient cataract surgery.
In the United States, on average over 8,000 cataract procedures are performed a day. The cataract procedure is quick, simple and allows for relatively fast healing. This safe and painless procedure typically starts with eye-numbing drops and a micro-seal being made at the edge of the cornea. The natural lens is gently washed away and Crystalens is implanted. Crystalens can be implanted quickly and without sensation. Most Crystalens San Diego patients return for a follow-up visit with Dr. Nahl the day after surgery.
The recovery period is usually short. Most patients are able to pursue normal activities almost immediately after surgery.
If you are like most patients who have Crystalens, you can expect to see sharper images than you have seen in years.
Dr. Angela Nahl is a highly regarded San Diego cataracts surgeon with many years' experience performing premium IOLs cataract surgery. To help all of her cataracts patients restore clear vision, Dr. Nahl offers a range of IOLs, including ReStor and ReZoom in San Diego. In addition to performing advanced forms of cataract surgery, Dr. Nahl is renowned as a talented San Diego ICL specialist. She offers both Visian ICLs and Verisyse phakic IOLs to help patients achieve clear vision while eliminating their dependence on glasses.